What you need to know before you can start to build your custom shower by type, size, shape and how that will affect your total budget.
Building Custom Shower
When it comes to building a custom shower, there are a few things you will have to figure out.
- Do you need to know your budget limit?
- The shape and space where the shower will be located?
- What walls are or would be required?
- What type of shower do you want?
- What type of door system will you use?
Do you need to know your budget limit?
Whenever you plan on doing any renovation, you always need to know what your total budget is. As much as we may like to have the best that’s out there, most people simply do not have the budget to back it. Instead what one needs to do, is get the best shower that fits your budget.
So once you have a maximum dollar amount to what you can or are willing to spend, you are now ready to proceed. By knowing your total budget costs, you will be able to look at the actual costs for the shower and what it takes to have it installed. You see the total cost needs to cover any and all demolition and preparations required in conjunction with the new shower install for the final billing.
The shape and space where the shower will be located?
With that said, here is a fundamental breakdown of how your pricing would look like:
- A shower insert or panel system is the cheapest but will not be used as we are dealing with a custom shower.
- The next cheapest shower is when using a store bought panel system where you omit the panel walls and install tiled walls. You keep the tray bottom and door system for the ones you can convert this way.
- You do a custom tile job from floor to ceiling where you only use the stocked glass door system that can be used on a tiled curb.
- Like the previous shower, you build out partition walls to increase the shower interior before mounting the stock shower doors on the tiled curb.
- The last type the has the highest cost is entire custom tile work floor to ceiling with custom glass doors, not stock.
Now things I did not list that will also raise the price for overall cost are the additions of shelves, soap dishes, niches, benches, etc. I left those out from the list as you could have a shelf in each shower type so your price would be raised the same amount for each shower. Example if it cost $25.00 to put in one shelve, this option would cost $25.00 in the cheaper or most expensive shower. Any types of options are extras that are only a final concern to the total budget.
- What walls are or would be required?
The walls will come into play with your budget in a couple of different ways.
- Any repair work and size of the area will determine a cost value to what is required for the new shower walls.
- If you are installing a neo-angle shower, stall you have two walls to be prepped.
- Now if you are replacing a tub and installing a shower in its place, you have three walls to prep.
- How about you decide on neo-angle but do not want the high price of custom shower doors, now you need to build out one or two partition walls to get the size without the higher price.
What type of shower do you want?
We know how to make decisions on the cost of materials and technique versus the kind of style. So now it comes down to what you want to create. When you look at your space, there may be no opportunity to change the size and style, or you may have a blank canvas to what you can do.
So here are your practical options:
- By knowing what your budget is.
- The type of door system, custom or stock.
- The kind of door will reflect on whether you require partial walls or not.
- The type of materials you decide to tile with will also reflect in the budget.
- The overall size and shape will calculate material costs you will acquire.
Knowing all these factors, you can have a quality custom shower built to your budget or at least know you need to save up some more money before you begin the renovation.
Creating a custom shower can be a very rewarding improvement after a long day knowing when you step into your custom shower with bench, body jets, overhead rain shower you feel like you just stepped into a 5-star resort getaway.
So to learn and get more ideas by all means take a tour around my site TD Remodeling.