Information that everybody needs to know that can save you thousands before you ever get a quote to start any renovations on your home.
Home Renovation Quote
Now that you’re at the stage of knowing what your budget is, and you know what you want to do, it’s time to hire someone. At this point, you have some options on who you can hire for the job. You may have someone in mind from a referral or your going to use somebody that works in your area.
Let’s look at referrals:
- Referred by a friend.
- Referred from a co-worker.
- Referred by another family member.
- Referred from one of your neighbours.
A referral of this type is coming from somebody you Know and trust to give you the contact of a good contractor to do the work. Now for argument sake, let’s say you know nobody who can tell you a referral but you still want a reference to get some work done.
There are two main ways you can do this:
- The first method and one of the best are from the current suppliers. The companies selling their products will only want to represent good quality contractors for installations to get or keep your business and any referrals you may send them. They do not wish to promote any bad contractors as this will reflect badly on them for future sales.
- The second option for getting quality contractors are from legitimate website’s advertising companies with customer reviews and comment based on job satisfaction. A tally of customer reviews will give a good indication of what you could expect. By using the reviews, you can see who specializes in any particular field to find the right fit for you and your job.
Now we’ll look at people from your area
When you’re looking at hiring somebody from your local area, there are a few things you should be checking and considering. When your planning on having renovations done, you need to know the following things.
- Are they new to what you want to have done or do they have lots of experience?
- The company or person your hiring do they do the work or does somebody else?
- Do they have the appropriate insurance?
- Can you get proper work references?
- Will they cover stuff up like buddy in the image to the right?
When you’re looking to hire a company or person for your renovation job, you need to know if they are capable of actually doing the job. There are companies great at some things and terrible at others. Just like when you hear about different companies quality of work and yet after having a job done by them you’re not happy with the job. Once they have your money and left you with a job your not happy with, it’s too late getting them to fix it after the fact. Another scenario is the person who did the quality work has a high turnover rate with new tradespeople doing the work now while there riding on a past reputation.
What about the question of are they carrying the proper insurance or do they even have any insurance at all. Many contractors are operating with no insurance coverage of any type. In fact, I’ve seen many people working from their personal vehicles with no commercial insurance and no liability coverage.
What about having background work references to their quality of work and performance. There was a time when you could get a list of names from the one doing the job that you could call up as references for a background check. Nowadays, there are so many hackers that have bogus friends and family as a reference which your not aware of, that calling past customers is just a con job.
The only true way to get recommendations for contractors and people you do not know, is from there suppliers that know them and their work. The suppliers know which ones promote as good or bad that have a history with them through the years and they will not jeopardize their business for somebody else.
These are just a few things to know and consider about getting a home renovation quote on any properties that you own. For the next post on this topic, I will run you through a real situation with names omitted so that you can understand how to save thousands of dollars if not tens of thousands by learning a few key things about getting renovations done.
Until then here is a link to my site offering you some other topics and insight into the world of renovations and how to save your money and peace of mind!